I went out and sought tools to make the task easier - indeed, it was that tool that I used to write the second story. And it worked really, really well. Anyone that need to write on the fly and distraction free, I would suggest that they use an app like Q10. There were some other things that I didn't get a chance to try, but then Q10 worked well for me right off the bat, down to the old manual typewriter sounds.
I built a spreadsheet and graph (above) to give me some impetus, to keep visual the work that I would need to do to make the challenge. But for all the encouragement that I sought for it to give me, I was just never able to find the time or the head space to get what I wanted to get done done.
And so, after the third day, the daily average word count required climbed, and I'm forced to admit today, even before the end of the NaNoWriMo challenge, that it will be nigh impossible for me to churn out the remaining 47,132 words before the end of the month, November 30th, certainly not with work and other commitments.
I want to thank everybody though who quietly supported me in this effort, including my Canada-based editor and oldest friend.
There is still a book in me. It just wasn't ready to be born this time. Understanding a little better though, and just a little, what challenges exist in getting it out and onto paper, I think I'll be able to produce it a little bit at a time.
Maybe next year, because I am going to do this again, I'll drop that bad pulpy novel that the NaNoWriMo exercise encourages people to produce.
Then again, maybe that one will be the best seller...