@keith_in_tnt on Twitter.com

Loading...

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Animae Caribe 2006: Animation, Film & New Media


I was up at UWI yesterday on my way to class, and happened upon a bunch of students on my way across the JFK Quadrangle. They were spread out all over the ground, and seemed to be drawing on the Quad in chalk. By the time I got back from my class an hour later, a number of the concrete slabs had been transformed to some really nice pieces of artwork.

A few questions later, I found that the afternoon's activity was a promotional effort put on by students of the Creative Arts Centre for the 2006 Animae Caribe Caribbean Animation and New Media Festival. The festival runs from October 5th to 7th, 2006, and is to be held at the University of the West Indies' St. Augustine Campus. Full information on the festival, and on Animae Caribe in general, can be found at http://www.animaecaribe.com. The site lists as a contact Camille Selvon Abrahams (cabrahams@animaecaribe.com).

That aside though, the funny thing about the chalk drawings is that not all of them were done by students involved in the festival, nor only by students attached to the Creative Arts Centre. Some were produced by students who saw an opportunity to have some expressive fun on a relatively cool Monday afternoon.

I've tried to capture a few images with my phone. The photos are not bad, but they don't do full justice to some of these guys' work. They do serve though as a personal reminder that I need to start walking with a real camera for times such as these.


























Follow @Keith_in_TnT
on Twitter | via RSS Feed